Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am filing my FAFSA, my wife is refusing to allow me use…

Customer Question
I am filing my FAFSA...
I am filing my FAFSA, my wife is refusing to allow me use her tax info and because of this, I am being refused financial aid which is going to hinder me from enrolling in graduate school for 2017-2018 school year. What can I do to move my process forward?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
12/15/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Based on the information you provided, it appears you and your wife each file your tax returns using the married filing separate rather than married filing jointly filing status.

If that is the case, her tax return is separate and private to her, and unless she voluntarily provides you with the information, you cannot obtain it.

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I am not trying to obtain her tax info, I am trying to complete my FAFSA without her information since in fact we are separate and filed separate

In your original question you said "my wife is refusing to allow me use her tax info."

In any case, I will opt out so another expert can possibly assist you.

Thank you.

Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 5 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane. I am a different expert and have a different answer.

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment and I’ll provide my initial response and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

If a student’s partner refuses to file the FAFSA, or provide the tax information - the student should talk with the college’s financial aid administrator about the circumstances surrounding the parents’ unwillingness to complete the form.

...

Sometimes, financial aid administrators are able to address the parent’s concerns and convince them to complete the form.

...

By the way, her information must be included on the FAFSA, per section 475(f)(3) of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

...

But its it's the financial aid office that has both the resources (and control) to allow for provision of the information in another way, do an override, OR educate your wife as to her responsibilities under Federal law.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS