Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is inheritance income from Germany subject to US taxes?

Customer Question
Is inheritance income from...

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Stand to inherit a relatively large amount from the death of my step-sister in Germany. The matter is handled by a legal firm in Augsburg Germany. It has made arrangements for me to meet with a representative at the German Embassy in Washington DC to finalize some of the paperwork and have the money deposited into one of my E-Trade accounts..
Question: What are the tax ramification of my inheritance? Will I be subject to any additional taxation of the amount received, that I must report on my Income Tax? What about expenses I assume will be incurred for the services provided by the German Embassy?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/15/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent replied 2 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will be able to assist you today.

Q: What are the tax ramification of my inheritance?

A: The US does not tax inheritance or gifts from international citizens whom are not domiciled in the US and given to a US Tax payer. Therefore, you will not owe any tax. This does not apply if the funds were in a trust.

You do need to report the inheritance or gift if the amount you receive is over $100,000. You can report this to the IRS using Form 3520 Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts. This does not apply if your inheritance is from a foreign trust.

Below is a direct link to IRS.GOV Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/gifts-from-foreign-person

IRS From 3520

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf

Q: What about expenses I assume will be incurred for the services provided by the German Embassy?

A: The expenses that you incur are not deductible.

If you would like for me to expand on my answer above or have additional questions please let me know!

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more. Thank you!

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent