Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My company builds custom heavy haul trailers. We have been…

Customer Question
My company builds custom...

My company builds custom heavy haul trailers. We have been contacted by a Canadian company to build some trailers. My company is US based, trailers will be picked up in US and transported to Canada. Am I required to register and charge GST/PST ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
12/14/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Canada would require you to if you are Carrying On Business in Canada.

There are many factors that must be looked at but the following are important in your situation:

Facts

1. As a non-resident person receives orders from its customers located in Canada, the non-resident purchases goods from a registrant in Canada for resale to the customers.

2. The registrant delivers the goods directly to the non-resident supplier's customers in Canada on the non-resident supplier's behalf.

3. The non-resident supplier does not solicit orders for the supply of its goods in Canada.

4. The contract for the supply of goods by the non-resident supplier is concluded outside Canada.

5. Payment by the customers for the goods is made outside Canada.

6. The non-resident supplier has no bank account in Canada.

7. The non-resident supplier has no agents or employees in Canada.

You being the non-resident supplier, you are not carrying on business in Canada. You would not be required to register or charge the GST/PST.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago

Hi, just checking back