Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I own a residence and a rental property. Could I sell the…

Customer Question
I own a residence...

I own a residence and a rental property. Could I sell the rental, and use the proceeds to pay down my primary mortgage as a 1031 exchange?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I don't know what other information you might need.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Primary mortgage balance is $350k. Rental property would probably produce around $140k net. I'm asking how to avoid as much long-term gains tax as possible.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/14/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 4 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is***** will be able to assist you today.

A 1031 exchange applies to property that is "like-Kind." For example, a rental property exchanged for a rental property. Unfortunately, a primary residence is not eligible for a 1031 exchange.

In order to defer capital gains you would have to exchange property A for a "like-Kind," property.

If you would like for me to expand on my answer above or have additional questions please let me know!

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to rate and accept my answer by clicking on three stars or more. Thank you!
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®