Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a husband dies April, 2017 does his wife file her own…

Customer Question
If a husband dies...

If a husband dies April, 2017 does his wife file her own return in 2017 or a joint return with her deceased husband's "estate" ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The deceased husband has a large estate which has not been filed and will not be until at the earliest in 2018. He had nearly 100 of the couples annual income and now she is left with a marital trust.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
12/14/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The surviving spouse can file a joint return with the deceased or she can file a separate return for the year he passed.

Generally, the personal representative and the surviving spouse can file a joint return for the decedent and the surviving spouse. However, the surviving spouse alone can file the joint return if no personal representative has been appointed before the due date for filing the final joint return for the year of death.

This also applies to the return for the preceding year if the decedent died after the close of the preceding tax year and before filing the return for that year. The income of the decedent that was includible on his or her return for the year up to the date of death.

The income of the husband up to the date of death would be on the joint return then the estate files for the income from date of death on.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Hello, just checking to see if you responded further

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4