Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

IfI cash in a traditional IRA and pay the taxes on it, can I…

Customer Question
IfI cash in a...

IfI cash in a traditional IRA and pay the taxes on it, can I spread the income amount out over 5 years ..... to show my income decreased annually? If I show the whole amount as income then my medicare part B rate increases for 1 year

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/14/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Income averaging is a federal tax code provision allowing fishermen, farmers and some retirees to spread their income over a period of years rather than paying a large sum in a single year.

...

It shields fishermen and farmers from the variability of their vocations, allowing years of low income to balance out years of high income.

...

For pensioners, it creates flexibility in how they treat lump-sum payments from retirement plans. Income averaging was available to a wider cross-section of taxpayers before the 1986 Tax Reform Act, which narrowed the provision to its current form.

...

SO it MAY be that you can (And five years comes into the equation, but it's averaged over 10 years if you qualify).

...

People born before 1936 who have been in their tax-deferred retirement plan for at least five years and who take out the entire balance in their plan in a single distribution, may be able to use 10-year income averaging to spread the tax bite over a 10-year span. The IRS would assume the account balance was paid in 10 equal annual installments and set the annual tax liability accordingly.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.