Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If it is necessary for me to go out of town to work, Is my…

Customer Question
If it is necessary...

If it is necessary for me to go out of town to work, Is my motel cost each week taz deductible in 2017?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am considering taking a job offer in another city. I would be required to stay over night there Monday through Friday, then go home on the weekends. Is the motel expense goingto be a tax deduction?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I cannot sell my house so I would continue to reside in the old city while working in the new one. I am 69 years of age and it is difficult for me to find gainful employment in my city.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/14/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

i'm so sorry, but the IRS concept of "tax home" makes this not deductible.

...

Here's the IRS guidance on this: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511

...

From there:

...

"You're traveling away from home if your duties require you to be away from the general area of your tax home for a period substantially longer than an ordinary day's work, and you need to get sleep or rest to meet the demands of your work while away.

...

Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home.

...

For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals or lodging in Milwaukee because that's your tax home.

...

Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago isn't for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible. If you regularly work in more than one place, your tax home is the general area where your main place of business or work is located."

SO sorry to be the messenger here.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986