Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My QUESTION IS COMMANDER of the Korean War Veterans

Customer Question
My QUESTION IS I...

My QUESTION IS I AM THE COMMANDER of the Korean War Veterans Association we are a 501(c) (19). We have raise sufficient funds to build a Korean War memorial at the conclusion of the dedication is it allowable for us to invite the donors to lunch using money from the memorial account ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/13/2017
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 8 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Your question did not require a live phone call; I can give you a quick answer right here and save you the cost of the call.. YES. At the conclusion of your dedication ceremony you may certainly treat your donors to lunch. It would be considered "participating in activities of a patriotic nature." The erection of your memorial and hosting a luncheon are all within the "patriotic activities" sphere of approved activities. The distinction is that these donors are your guests, and all expenses must be borne by members of your organization. You would not be able to invite the general public to a luncheon and pay for everyone's lunch that showed up. That would be outside the scope of your exempt activities.

If you need more info, just let me know. I know how much work it is to complete a project like this. I was involved in one about 12 years ago. Thank you for your service, and thank you for using Just Answer.