Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My brother retired from the federal government at the age of…

Customer Question
My brother retired from...

My brother retired from the federal government at the age of 57 because he had been diagnosed with kidney failure and wen on dyalysis. He worked for a year after his diagnosis, and had to work through EAP to get his emplyer to accomadate his 3 times a week Dyalysis appointments, This made him have to work nine hour days and as his condition worsened and he also was diagnosed with cancer and also had to accomadate radiation treatments it became difficult for him to continue working. He retired because he had the years and was over the minumum age. He considered disability but it seemed he would be to his financial advantage to take retirement instead, He believes he was qulified for Disability but they did the math so they chose retirement. He never applied for Social Security Disability, because sometimes if you don't have enough time in private industry you don't have enough quarters to qualify. He got his taxes done through H&R Block until last year. In 2014 they put him in for a disability credit. Now MD State is asking for a physicians statement to prove he can take the credit. I have been searching on line to find out what the physician statement should say. I have talked to his Nephrologist and PCP about writing a letter but I need to know what should be in the later. Also can he retoactively take the credit for the years that he didn't claim it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He has a state tax debt of $10,00,00.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
12/13/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane ...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

OK

The medical providers will simply need to verify what you've said here. Show a medical diagnosis that the Dialysis was required becasue of the renal failure, that there was a diagnosis of cancer, and provide document of the radiation treatments.

...

what SOME do is use the RFC (Residual Function Capacity) test to show that work was not possible.

...

This is the Social Security process for documenting disability. Bear with me a minute and I'll get that for you.

...

But here, that's probably more than necessary. The conditions and procedures here simply need to be documented by a medical povider

...

Be right back

For Social Security disability purposes, Disability Determination Services, a state agency that works for the SSA) performs an RFC (residual functional capacity) assessment on a disability claim.

...

The consultant will determine what level of exertion you are capable of, and what restrictions limit the jobs can be performed. The medical consultant will rely on medical records and doctor’s notes about functional abilities and restrictions to come up with the individual's RFC.

...

Here's the form. (attached) Might be helpful for the Doctor(s)

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane