Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

FOR GUILLERMO: What line on the 1040 income tax return is

used to determine the sponsor's...
FOR GUILLERMO: What line on the 1040 income tax return is used to determine the sponsor's income for Form I-864? Is it line 22: TOTAL INCOME? Or, line 37, ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME?
12/13/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane ...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986

...

The I-864 in Part 6, line 13a-c, asks for the sponsor’s “total income…as reported on my federal tax returns for the most recent 3 years.”

...

This is where you need to take the income reported on line 22 of last year’s 1040 and put that figure in line 13a.

...

(Don’t worry that this figure may be joint income and much higher than what was reported on line 5. It is just being used as a benchmark.)

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

..

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a jointly filed 2016 tax return by husband and wife who wish to act as co-sponsors on Form I-864 for a prospective permanent alien. If I provide you with an "attached file" of their 2016 tax return, will you be able to determine the total income of each separate joint filer, so I can enter those figures on Form I-864?

The number entered must be the number from line 22 of the 1040. Don’t worry that this figure may be joint income and much higher than what was reported on line 5. It is just being used as a benchmark.

...

A lot of practitioners over-think this question and try to indicate only what the sponsor earned last year. The NVC will return the I-864 if the reported income on the tax return is different from what is indicated in line 13a

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Line 13a? Where is that? On the I-864 or the 1040? I don't see that number on either.

I-684

Sorry, the form's changed a bit ... we're talking about part 6 here.

Us form 1040, line 22 for the last three years in lines 19 a, b, and c.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS