Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In an independent contractor in Hawaii. There is a 4% excise…

In an independent contractor...

In an independent contractor in Hawaii. There is a 4% excise tax for independent contractors. I'm a tennis pro working for a resort. The resort pays me 70% of my lesson. For instance, a lesson is $100 . The resort charges the client the $100 plus 4.17 sales tax, $104.17. When I get 70% it's $70, I don t get a percentage of the sales tax. My question. Since the tax is paid to the hotel do I have to pay the excise tax in addition?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Is someone there?

12/13/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The General Excise Tax (GET) is imposed on gross income by businesses, meaning that part of every single business transaction goes to the state.

Correspondingly - YOUR gross income as an independent contractor or self-employed individual - is subject to the excise tax.

You are allowed to pass the tax on to your customers, but if you do so the tax will be calculated on the total amount you collect, including the extra for the tax.

That is between you and your customer how your services are paid.

In this situation - your customer is the resort.

You may for instance negotiate that the resort will pay you $73 instead of $70 in your example.

But in this case - you will pay GET on THAT amount.

Whatever the resort charging their customers - is not relevant to your tax liability.

Thanks

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

How do I rate an answer?

See here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five stars located on the top right of the question page. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. Your Expert will not be paid until you rate the answer.