Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax Experts My client wants to donate one of his rental

Customer Question
Tax ExpertsMy client wants to...
Tax ExpertsMy client wants to donate one of his rental houses to his church. Do we need appraisal? How do we claim donation on the tax return?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/12/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Usually, you make a contribution at the time of its unconditional delivery.

You can deduct your contributions only in the year you actually make them or in a later carryover year, when the deduction limit is applied.

If you claim a deduction of over $5,000 for a noncash charitable contribution of one item or a group of similar items, you must have the acknowledgment and the written records AND you must also obtain a qualified written appraisal of the donated property from a qualified appraiser.

Generally a licensed real estate appraiser will be considered as a "qualified appraiser" for that purpose.

Report your charitable contributions on lines 16 through 19 of Schedule A (Form 1040) and fill out Section B of Form 8283.

The organization that received the property must complete and sign Part IV of Section B.

Questions?

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor