Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband and I filed our taxes together last year and I…

Customer Question
Hello. My husband and...

Hello. My husband and I filed our taxes together last year and I cannot find a copy of what was sent back by the attorney, who is actually a friend of my husband. I need a copy of it. If I ask a copy of it can the accountant keep it confidential without letting my husband know? I am going to be meeting with a lawyer for an initial Consultation and I need a copy of it. Can you please let me know? Consultation and I need a copy of it. Can you please let me know?

Accountant's Assistant: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Accountant's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems. The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No, I just want to make sure that I can get a copy of the tax returns and all the paperwork without my husband knowing. Since we filed our taxes together. The accountant is this a friend of my husband and his immediate family. But I want to make sure that it’s confidential if I do pick up the paperwork. I will be meeting with the lawyer tomorrow. No, I just want to make sure that I can get a copy of the tax returns and all the paperwork without my husband knowing. Since we filed our taxes together. The accountant is this a friend of my husband and his immediate family. But I want to make sure that it’s confidential if I do pick up the paperwork. I will be meeting with the lawyer tomorrow.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/12/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If that tax return was filed with the IRS - you may request your tax account transcript directly from the IRS and neither your husband nor his attorney would not be notified.

Let me know if you are willing to proceed.

There are many reasons why you should keep a copy of your federal tax return.

If you can’t find your tax return, the IRS can provide a copy or give you a transcript of the tax information you need.

You can get transcripts on the web, by phone or by mail. To request transcripts online, go to IRS.gov

and use the

To order by phone, call 800_908_9946_ and follow the prompts.

To request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript by mail or fax, complete Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Businesses and individuals who need a tax account transcript should use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

If you order online or by phone, you should receive your tax return transcript within five to 10 calendar days. You should allow 30 calendar days for delivery of a tax account transcript if you order by mail.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor