Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a small acreage property as part of the divorce…

Customer Question
I received a small...

I received a small acreage property as part of the divorce decree when I divorced in 2000. If I sell that property what sort of tax would I be responsible to pay?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The property was a small acreage that orginally was part of a larger parcel with our home on it. The property with the home had to be sold as part of the divorce settlement. I have held the property for 17 years, original improvements of electricity and well were made on it prior to the divorce. What other facts do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not sure?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
The property is in Montana.
12/11/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You would pay tax on the gain from the sale. The gain is the difference in the cost plus improvements and the sale price less costs to sale.

Your cost is the original price plus the electric and well that was put in.

If you sale for more than that you will pay tax on the overage.

a typical capital gains tax I assume. Property was purchased in approximately 1972 and handled by my ex-husband; I do not know the original price, or the cost of putting in the electric and the well, and no idea how to determine the cost. The electric and well were both installed at the time of the original homesite build.

Yes, it is just a typical capital gain and the rate is based on your total income for the year. As far as the cost you will need to know that or the basis is $0 and you pay tax on the full amount.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited..