Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Am i allowed to give my children any money tax free. I am…

Customer Question
Am i allowed to...

Am i allowed to give my children any money tax free

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am mqaking mony min the stock market and my children need mone7y i am 90 years old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
12/11/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. You are able to gift your children $14,000 per year without triggering a gift tax filing requirement. If you gift more than this amount you would need to complete a gift tax return. The amount above the $14,000 may or may not be taxable to you depending on your prior gifts. The amount would reduce your life time exclusion which is currently $5.49 million.

You would still pay taxes on any capital gains that were generated.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor