Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If my only income is state pension and rental income from…

Hi If my only income...
Hi If my only income is state pension and rental income from property, can I claim marriage allowance from my wife as I am not employed or self employed but still complete a tax return and pay tax at 20%? Thanks
12/11/2017
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hi Jp,

You are able to file as Married filing jointly and use the personal and dependent deductions for you wife as long as you are married on December 31 of the year.

Please let me know if you would like me to expand on my answer above or if you have any additional questions.

Thank you!

Thanks for that, please could you expand on 'Married filing jointly' and 'personal and dependent deductions' I thought I has to select 'Yes' from I drop down box, that I cant get to appear?
Kind regards

Hi Jp,

I was referring to the US tax laws. I will opt out for an expert in the UK.

Thank you

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Yes, you can get Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:

• you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • you don’t earn anything or your income is £11,500 or less
  • your partner’s income is between £11,501 and £45,000 (or £43,000 if you’re in Scotland)

...

It won’t affect your application for Marriage Allowance if you or your partner are currently receiving are currently receiving a pension (OR if you live abroad (as long as you get a personal allowance)

...

By the way, if you or your partner were born before 6 April 1935, you might benefit more as a couple by applying for Married Couple's allowance instead. You can read more about that here: Married Couple’s Allowance.

...

But yes, as long as you meet the requirements above, the fact that your income is not not 'earned income' isn't a problem.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

The data fits the requirements, the option box do not appear when I am filling out the tax return on line, on page 3 of 3 of tailor your return, where it does on others?Thanks

I'm so sorry, but forms help is where I have to draw the line, (in terms of may ability to help).

...

I can help you understand tax law for ANY common law country, but would not be able to help with specific forms issues.

...

Have you tried this?: General enquiries, personal tax

...

From there's you'll see contact numbers for help, as well as web chat when someone's available

Looks lik there's someone now: Advisers are available to chat. Speak to an adviser now.

Telephone:
0300(###) ###-####/strong>

Textphone:
0300(###) ###-####/strong>

Outside UK:
+44(###) ###-####/strong>

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS