Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I go about fighting NV tax on hearing aids.People do…

Customer Question
How do I go...

How do I go about fighting NV tax on hearing aids.People do not get hearing aids for cosmetic reasons but out of necessity

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2017
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a minute to type my answer.

While hearing aids are a qualified medical device for Federal tax purposes, as well as for most states, the State of Nevada specifically states that hearing aids are NOT considered medical devices that are exempt under Nevada sales tax laws (NRS 360B.435).

So unfortunately, while the State does recognize hearing aids as necessary medical devices, they do not exempt them from sales tax. They are specifically listed in NV's presentation of this law as taxable medical devices.

You can go to https://www.ttrus.com/utm/nevada-utm.pdf, which is a matrix published by the State of Nevada for items subject to sales tax, and if you look at page 28, the third line down it states that hearing aids with a prescription are taxable. The only way that they are not taxable is if Medicare or Medicaid pay for them, and since this is considered a sale to a government, it would be tax free anyway.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is the law. It is specifically listed in three sections of the sales tax law (NRS 372.105, NRS 372.185, NRS 372.283).

In order to get the sales tax changed in 2016 to exempt prosthetic devices (false legs, etc) they had to have a state-wide referendum to change the State constitution. So I do not believe that there is any way to get this changed as this is a very strong law.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

I have not heard any response from you. Do you have any questions? If not, please don't forget to rate me, as that is how questions are closed.

Thanks!