Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

During an IRS audit does the IRS have to inform you that…

During an IRS audit...

During an IRS audit does the IRS have to inform you that they will talking with 3rd parties?

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in Missouri but this is the IRS

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had an in office audit with the IRS and was requested to send by mail more documents and that was 3 weeks ago when they received the documents hey requested.

12/8/2017
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will help you. You have to give permission in order for the IRS to speak to 3rd parties, usually done with a Power of Attorney form (POA form). After they send you an IDR (initial document request) and the requested information is sent to the IRS, the agent assigned to the case usually gets in contact with you to go over any questions that they have, and yes they usually have questions. There should be a contact number for the agent or the office that the audit is being conducted out of, so you can always follow up with them as well as to status.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions for me. Thanks, ***** ***** a nice day!

Regards,

Fred

Thank for your response, so as I understand your answer before they can contact former employer's or current employer that have to inform me and have me sign a POA. Is this correct? Also it has been 3 week since I sent in the information they requested and still have hear nothing from themThank You

Yes. They are not allowed to speak to anyone else except you. If someone tries to even speak to the IRS on your behalf, they will refuse to do so without a filed POA in hand. If there is contact information on the IDR, I would call them and confirm they received the information. Last, when speaking to them on the phone, be sure to document all discussions with the IRS for future reference.

Hello there. Just wanted to see if you had any additional questions for me. If finished, please take some time to rate my service. Thanks, ***** ***** a nice day!

Fred Rook
Hi, just one last question, how long after I submitted the documents the IRS requested after the initial in office meeting should I expect to hear from the IRS agent conducting the audit? Can they contact 3rd parties to verify the documents or do they to talk to me firstThank You and I will give you a 5 star rating
Phone call session started
Fred Rook
Fred Rook