Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was scammed for over 80k can this be a tax deduction, what…

Customer Question
I was scammed for...

I was scammed for over 80k can this be a tax deduction

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you need to know

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Investment scam

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
12/8/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

It may be reported as a theft loss. The actions of the person need ot be criminal in nature and meant to deceive you.

A qualified investor’s discovery year is the taxable year of the investor in which the indictment, information, or complaint is filed.

You would report on form 4684

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.