Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I entered into a payment plan to pay back the $250 I owed to…

Customer Question
Hi so I entered...

Hi so I entered into a payment plan to pay back the $250 I owed to IRS but they are taking 50 out of my acccount even now sO i was paid $400 even though i owed $250

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I typed everything. I entered into a payment plan to pay back the $250 that I owed IRS but they have deducted $400 or more right now.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

How do I cancell the automatic debit and get a refund of the excess amount?

Accountant's Assistant: You can process your own refund by going to the Order History page and clicking on the "How do I get a refund" link below the amount paid for your question.

On the IRS page?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/8/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NO, you'll have to contact them to get the refund.

...

You CAN however stop the debit by contacting your bank

...

So sorry, but the bot was trying to tell you how to get a refund from JustAnswer

My name's Lane. I'm an expert here at JustAnswer.

...

(I wanted to get that to you quickly before the silly bot tried to answer more questions (real, warm body here)

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

There are a couple of issues, interest and late payment penalties still accrue during the payment plan. But if they ARE, indeed, continuing to withdraw after EVERYTHING's been paid, then (so sorry) you'll either have to call, or go into a local office to be sure it's refunded.

...

And again getting it STOPPED, if you're sure you're current on all interest and penalties, is as simple as telling your bank it's no longer allowed. They'll have a form, a way to do it online, OR you MAY be able to call if you have pin access.

You MAY now be able to change the amount to zero here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/reviewing-and-changing-your-payment-plan

...

How to revise an online payment agreement:

• Make any desired changes by logging into the Online Payment Agreement tool. Make corrections on the first page that shows your current agreement type, payment date, and amount; then continue through the application to submit your changes.
  • If the tool does not accept your new monthly payment amount, it will give you directions for whether to complete a Form 433-F Financial Information Statement, and how to submit it.
  • If your agreement has lapsed through default and is being reinstated, you may incur a reinstatement fee.

Review/Update Your Payment Plan

If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact them

...

Hope this helps,

...

let me know if you have further questions

...

Lane