Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

One of our contractors gave us the wrong tax id number for…

Customer Question
One of our contractors...

One of our contractors gave us the wrong tax id number for 2015 and 2016 and they asking for us to correct. What form do we uses?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We're a medical device company and we have contract's with surgeons to "reach or facilitate" for us. One of our contracts accidently gave us his daughters social security number and not his. He has asked that we re-file.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We filed his earning under his daughters social security number for 2015 and 2016 and they have asked us to file and admendment and I'm not sure what form we need to use

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/8/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you used form 1099misc to report payment to contractors -

you will need to reissue the same form 1099misc but will check the box "Corrected" at the top.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf

Then you will need to file the form as an attachment to form 1096 as you originally filed.

See page 5 in instructions - Corrections to Form 1099-MISC

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor