Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am the sole member owner of a small business. My mother…

Customer Question
I am the sole member...
I am the sole member owner of a small business. My mother takes care of my toddler so that I can focus on maintaining and running the business. I consider this 100% a business expenses. Can my business pay for her time and issue her a 1099 at year end? Thanks.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
12/8/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 6 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately child care cost is not a business cost, it is personal expense. You can claim use it to calculate your dependent care credit but your mother will need to claim it as income.

Per IRS regarding dependent care credit:

"The care must have been provided so you – and your spouse if you are married filing jointly – could work or look for work."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/ten-things-to-know-about-the-child-and-dependent-care-credit