Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a notification from teh ACA marketplace that my…

Customer Question
Hi, I received a...

Hi, I received a notification from teh ACA marketplace that my form 8962 was not received. I conta cted my tax person and he sent me copies of the 1095A and 8962 that were submitted with my 2017 tax return. More recently, I got another message from BCBS, my healthcare insurance provider, that I am disqualified from healthcare premium tax credits for 2018. I called the marketplace and they told me that IRS reports to them, and that only IRS would be able to tell me what has happened that would disqualify me from receiving health premium tax credits in 2018. Please advise. Thank you.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I think I've given you all the info I have.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/7/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 4 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

2017 tax returns cannot be filed until after year 2017 ends. You will be able to file 2017 tax return after January 1, 2018.

Anyway, your tax preparer most likely send you copies of your 2016 tax filing. The ACA Marketplace information from the IRS and if you have not reconciled your credit (by filing 8962) you will not able to claim ACA credit in the following year (2018).

You will have to contact the IRS, find out if they have your 8962 and if they don't you will have to mail it to them. The ACA Marketplace cannot help you because the 8962 is IRS form and the marketplace only uses the information reported from the IRS to determine your eligibility.

Any questions?

How did you file your return? Electronically or on paper? When did you file your return? If you filed around October 15, chances are the IRS hasn't updated the information with the ACA yet.

sorry it was my 2016 return. I did file around Oct 15. It's disconcerting to move forward with my new ACA application without knowing the status of my account. It appears I need to contact IRS, which I tried to do. But when I followed the prompts on the automated phone system, it said that due to call volume and the nature of my call, they were unable to take my call at that time. That's why I contacted you. I actually thought it was an official IRS service that I was reaching out to. It does not appear that you will be able to help me, so I would hope that I will not be charged for this service, as it did not provide me any information I did not already know. I see that my card has already been charged, so please issue a credit. Thank you.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney