Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Im helping someone on SSI. He is receiving $13,000 from

Customer Question
Im helping someone on...

Im helping someone on SSI. He is receiving $13,000 from being a beneficiary on an annuity. Can he spend this money for future rent, like pay 3 years all at once?

Accountant's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

PA

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, the annuity is sitting in “limbo” and has hasn’t been claimed yet.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just need to know if paying future rent will disqualify his benefits in any way.

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/7/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 4 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello, my name is ***** ***** i will be able to assist you today.

Q: No, I just need to know if paying future rent will disqualify his benefits in any way.

A:Paying rent in advance will not affect SSI benefits in any way.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or would like for me to expand my answer above.

Thank you!

What about state benefits such as Medicaid and food stamps. Will they be effected? Do you know if there is anywhere on social security’s website that explains advanced rent payments?
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®