Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need help with form 8802. I have a question about line 1…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with form 8802

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have a question about line 1 and the signatures

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I need to know if I am married, but only filling out form 8802 for myself, do I need a spouse's signature. This will really complicate things if I do, as we live n separate states.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/7/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. How were the US tax returns prepared. Were there returns filed as a Married filing joint return?

The tax return 1040 was filed jointly, but my form 8802 is only for myself.
I do not want a phone call

Please ignore the phone class solicitations. These are coming from the web site.

According to the instructions, Form 8802 needs to match the information that was reported on the tax return.

As part of certifying U.S. residency, the IRS must be able to match the name(s) and taxpayer identification number(s) (TIN(s)) on this application to those previously verified on either the U.S. return filed for the tax period for which certification is to be based or on other documentation you provide.

Joint return.

If a joint income tax return was filed for a tax period for which certification will be based, enter the spouse's name and TIN exactly as they appear on the return filed.

but does my spouse need to sign, since the form is only for myself?

Since the certification will impact your joint return unfortunately your spouse would also need to sign the form.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I have a different answer.

Because you are not making a joint application, you wife does NOT need to sign.

BUT

You will still enter her information at the top of page one so the IRS can reference your tax return, which you filed as MFJ.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent