Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is my scenario. I am working in US from last Feb 2017. My…

Customer Question
Hi I am Preethi...

Hi I am Preethi Here is my scenario. I am working in US from last Feb 2017. My husband visited me as dependent and stayed in US for around 40days. My son visited me as dependent and stayed with me for around 100days Now both of them travelled back to home country. I do not have ITIN for them. Is there a way I can claim for the allowance for my dependents?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

This is all.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/6/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, neither your husband nor your son would qualify to be claimed as a dependent on your tax return.

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you.

Barb

Thanks.
If they had stayed with me for more than 6 months, would they have been qualified for my returns?

Your husband would not be your dependent. You have the choice of filing married filing jointly (with your husband) or married filing separately. If you file married filing jointly with your husband, he would have to report his WORLDWIDE income to the U.S.

As to your son,

There are two types of dependents, each subject to different rules:

For both types of dependents, you’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them.

• Are they a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, a U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement.
  • Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form.
  • Are they filing a joint return? You cannot claim someone who is married and files a joint tax return. Say you support your married teenaged son: If he files a joint return with his spouse, you can’t claim him as a dependent.

Qualifying child

In addition to the qualifications above, to claim an exemption for your child, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions.

• Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child.