Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Since the deadline to file 2016 taxes is Jan2018 what is the…

Since the deadline to...

Since the deadline to file 2016 taxes is Jan2018 what is the deadline to deposit in my IRA credited to 2016?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That is my question

12/6/2017
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays !! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is ***** ***** taxes should have been filed by 4/15/17. Are you in a federally declared disaster area which has allowed for additional time to file?

extended to 1/15/18

Ok, I just wanted to make sure of that. I will check on the IRA matter and get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Revenue Procedure 2007-56, section 8, lists the retirement plan and IRA deadlines that the IRS may postpone because of a disaster. The IRS may postpone all or only certain deadlines listed in Revenue Procedure 2007-56 based on when the disaster occurred and its severity as well as other factors. Unless the news release for a particular disaster limits the relief, all the deadlines listed in Revenue Procedure 2007-56 will be postponed.-----------------------------------I am checking the above referenced document for specific information.

The following applies to the IRA contribution. SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------------

10. Sec. 219(f)(3) A contribution to an individual retirement account shall be deemed to have been made by the taxpayer on the last day of the preceding taxable year if the contribution is made on account of such taxable year and is made not later than the time prescribed for filing the return (not including extensions thereof) for such taxable year.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-irbs/irb07-34.pdf

In brief, you have until the tax return deadline date to make the contribution.

--------------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

thank you I will. will you please email this answer to me so I will have a copy, thanks

You are welcome. Other than offering a premium service, I am unable to confidentially obtain your email address. This is a public forum, you do not want to list your email address in the thread.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
thank you good help

You are very welcome.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant