Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My 40 year old son has never earned enough money to be

Customer Question
My 40 year old...

My 40 year old son has never earned enough money to be required to pay any taxes so he has never filed.. he works as an artist that is paid cash. does he need to file?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Son has earned $20k ayear or so in a cash industry. he is required to file and if so how does he file for past years.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that i can think of at the moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
12/6/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In general, if a person does not meet the income requirements to file a tax return, they do not have to file. However, as your son is an artist, he is considered self-employed, therefore, if he has earned $400 or more, he is required to file a tax return because he is subject to self-employment tax on the earned income. How much has he earned this year thus far?

You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more. If your net earnings from self-employment were less than $400, you still have to file an income tax return if you meet any other filing requirement listed in the Form 1040 instructions (PDF).

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employed-individuals-tax-center

It does not matter if a person is paid in cash or not, the income is required to be reported.

-------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.