Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

WHAT GENERALLY IS THE LIMITATION ON BUYER OF NOL STOCK

Customer Question
WHAT GENERALLY IS THE...

WHAT GENERALLY IS THE LIMITATION ON BUYER OF NOL STOCK COMPANY?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

MY CLIENT LOOKING AT BUYING C CORP STOCK THAT IS DORMANT BUT HAS $700K NOL. CAN MY CLIENT USE THE NOL CARRYOVERS? WHAT ARE THE LIMITATIONS.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

NO...MEQUON SAYS IF 50% CHANGE IN OWNERSHIP, THERE ARE LIMITATIONS ON USE OF NOL.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter. I'm a CPA and would love to help you out on this.

Yes, there are limitations. They can be very complex and can be very fact specific. I suggest you check out the law where the limitations come from.

You need to look to IRC 382 (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/382). William Mette also provides a great break down on these very complex rules available here: http://www.willamette.com/insights_journal/11/winter_2011_12.pdf

Hope that helps. I can help clarify anything on this for you. IF not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Here's a quick example:

IRC sections 382 and 383 provide that, where the ownership of a company changes by more than 50 percentage points in any 3-year period, the ability of the company to deduct its tax carryforwards in any future year is limited to the value of the company on the date the 50-percentage point threshold is crossed multiplied by a fluctuating rate that is currently around 4%. In other words, if the value of the company is $1 million at the time of the ownership change, then its ability to use its loss carryforwards is limited to $40,000 per year, no matter how large its carryforward may be.