Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a Corp that is a holding co. I am looking to take…

Customer Question
I have a Corp...

I have a Corp that is a holding co. I am looking to take over a few family businesses that my family runs but does not want to do marketing, accounting etc. They just want to be an employee of the business. Do I need separate bank accounts for each one or can keep the books on each virtual and into the holding co. account?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/5/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 4 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

Q: "Do I need separate bank accounts for each one or can keep the books on each virtual and into the holding co. account?"

A: Since your business is incorporated, the IRS requires that you keep a separate business bank account. It doesn't matter if your business is a corporation or a partnership or an incorporated sole proprietorship.

___

If you have a separate account for your business transactions, then you have a clean record at the end of the year. Remember to keep all your invoices and receipts to match up to your checkbook and bank statement entries and you will be in good shape when income tax time rolls around.

Please let me know if I was able to answer your question clearly or ifyou have any additional questions.

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept and rate my answer by clicking on three stars or higher.

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Chad- I think there is a misunderstanding. I have a checking account open for the C corp./ holding co. My questions is IF I acquire these other businesses do I need to keep an ADDTIONAL business checking account for each one or can I sweep all the monies into the present corp. account. I use quick books and would keep track of expenses of each company separately

You should keep separate accounts for each individual business.

Therefore If you acquire these additional businesses you should keep separate/additional bank accounts unless the companies you are acquiring will be part of your current company

You are able to create separate companies on quick books and keep track of income and expenses separately.

If the other businesses are also separate corporations then, you must keep business finances separate because the business is considered a separate legal entity.

Below is a link to the quick books resource center for further verification

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/financial-management/the-importance-of-keeping-business-and-personal-finances-separate/

Does this information help clarify your question?

Please let me know if you have any outstanding questions

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®