Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I lost my refund check for an amended return and want to…

Customer Question
I lost my refund...

I lost my refund check for an amended return and want to know if it could be canceled and a new check sent to me. It may have been stolen out of my purse.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I received a check for $6600 for an amended tax return. I had it in my purse and then discovered the next day it was gone. I am hoping the check could be canceled and a new replacement check sent to me.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No...that is all I need to know...what steps should I take to have my check canceled (before someone might try to cash it) and then get a new replacement check.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/5/2017
Tax Professional: Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent

The IRS will have to put a trace on the check. This process can take up to 6 weeks before they will know if the check was cashed or not. You will initiate the trace by calling(###) ###-####

After the 6 weeks, if the check is not cashed then a replacement check will be mailed. You will have to follow up with the IRS to find out the exact date the send the replacement check. They will not reach out to you.

If after the 6 weeks the IRS tells you the check was cashed prior to them issuing you a replacement check, you will have to work with the Bureau of the Fiscal Service to get the matter resolved. It will take another 6 weeks.

For more information: https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

Hope this helps and all the best!

Don't forget to leave a five star rating and I hope you have a better day!