Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My original 2016 1040 return included an estimated tax

Customer Question
My original 2016...

My original 2016 1040 return included an estimated tax penalty of $ 26.00

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I had to amend my return because I failed to attach the required form 8962. Upon completing the amended return I do not find a way to recuperate the penalty that no longer applies. How do I get the penalty back

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I do not see where to report the estimated tax penalty that I paid with my initial return on the 1040X

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/4/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 7 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

To request a refund of the tax penalty that you have already paid, but did not ow you should complete and return IRS Form 843.

Here is a link to the form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i843.pdf

"Purpose of Form:

Use Form 843 to claim a refund or request an abatement of certain taxes, interest, penalties, fees, and additions to tax."

Alternatively, you could apply the over payment to next years tax liability, if you do have a liability next year as a tax over payment from 2016.

If you have any further questions please let me know. If not, please take a moment to accept and rate my answer by clicking on three stars or higher.

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!