Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What should i pay besides the bid in a Tax resale auction in…

Customer Question
What should i pay besides...
What should i pay besides the bid in a Tax resale auction in harris county, tx?!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
12/4/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 6 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The bidder must pay at least the statutory minimum bid, which is set at the lower of:

 adjudged value or judgment value – value of the property at the time the judgment is taken

 the total of all amounts awarded in the judgment, including costs of suit and sale

The following link contains excellent information which you will find helpful:

https://www.hctax.net/About/Announcements/Tax%20Sale%20Bidders%20Auction%20Guide.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara, first thank you for your anser.
What i need yo know if there could be other values besides the bid i give (supposing its the winning bid) pkus the after judgement taxes. In the website of the attorneys (www.publicans.com) they have the list of properties for sale and resale. The resale properties have an assessed value, an est. minimum bid, and also an struck off amount. This last value tha appears in the infos of the property that concerns me. As it is a resale (with new lower minimum bid amount) com I consider that this struck off amount is the total debit prior to the judgement that will be eliminated by my winning bid (just acruing post judgement taxes) or it could be other taxes or fees that i will have to pay besides my bid and post judgement taxes?

In Texas,

Resale properties were struck off to the taxing entities and are scheduled for a resale usually at a lower opening bid.

​Properties that went to a Sheriff's Sale and were not sold are called struck-off properties. The owner of the property is now the taxing unit(s). When the property is bid, or struck-off to the entity, the deed will be made out to the taxing entities, and filed with the County Clerk's office.

These properties may be sold through a private bidding process if all taxing entities with a claim on them agree and approve offers from prospective buyers.

Barbara, what I want to know is the amount I will have to pay in an auction. For example: if that is a court judgment saying that the amount due from 2000 to 2016 is 50,000 and the judgment date is 02/05/2017, and the minimum bid in a resale is 5,000 could I assume, by the rules of Texas code, that the taxes between 2000 and 2016 will be eliminated with the winning bid ( of the minumum - 5,000 or other higher value)? That may be due other years of taxes (that not 2000 to 2016) and other liens, but not the ones in the judgment?