Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I use my FSA money for one of our children that we do…

Customer Question
Can I use my...

Can I use my FSA money for one of our children that we do not claim on our taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We have children who are in college. We claim them on our medical insurance but not on our taxes. Can we use the money in our FSA account to help pay for their medical expenses not covered by insurance.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Their mother claims them on her taxes.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
12/4/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Can you verify - if that is Medical FSA or child care FSA?
If that a medical FSA - please be aware that claiming a dependent on your tax return is NOT required.

In additional the definition of the dependent for medical expenses purposes is slightly different...

See here - page 4

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:
1. He or she received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2016,
2. He or she filed a joint return for 2016, or
3. You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2016 return.

So far - as long as the child IS your dependent for Medical purposes - you may deduct medical expenses paid for that child and may use Medical FSA funds to cover that child medical expenses;

and claiming that child as a dependent is NOT required.

Let me know if that answered your question.