Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I withdrew some amount from my 401k this year to pay for my…

Customer Question
Hi. I withdrew some...

Hi. I withdrew some amount from my 401k this year to pay for my living expenses. I don't have any other sources of income as I'm trying to build my own startup. There is no income from the startup yet. I understand I will have to pay taxes as well as a penalty for this, but is there a way to request the IRS for a waiver? I still don't have a source of income, so it's going to be really difficult to make the payments in the next few months. Thanks.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Nothing else.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

Unfortunately there is not a waiver that you can request. The amount withdrawn will be taxed as ordinary income and if you are younger than the age of 59.5 years old, the 10% early withdrawal penalty will apply. Paying for living expenses does not qualify for an exception to have to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty. For more information relating to the penalty exceptions, you can refer to the following link.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distributions

---------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant