Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a scam going on with IRS. Received a voice mail…

Customer Question
Is there a scam...

Is there a scam going on with IRS

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Received a voice mail saying they were from the IRS. They continued by saying a lawsuit was filed against me and a arrest warrant was released on my name.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

They also said to call them back at this number 1-***-***-****.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

In recent years, thousands of people have lost millions of dollars and their personal information to tax scams and fake IRS communication. Scammers use the regular mail, telephone, fax or email to set up their victims.

Note that the IRS does not:

• Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes.
  • Demand that you pay taxes without the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe. You should also be advised of your rights as a taxpayer.
  • Threaten to bring in local police, immigration officers or other law-enforcement to have you arrested for not paying. The IRS also cannot revoke your driver’s license, business licenses, or immigration status. Threats like these are common tactics scam artists use to trick victims into buying into their schemes.

This is not the REAL IRS calling if they are making threats.

Contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration to report a phone scam. Use their “IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting” web page. You can also call(###) ###-####

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4