Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I want to convert $200K of traditional IRA to $200K of Roth…

Customer Question
Hi. I want...

Hi. I want to convert $200K of traditional IRA to $200K of Roth IRA in 2017. I have a K1 $150K loss in 2017. Will my AGI be affected in this way $200K - 150K = 50K added to AGI for 2017?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I also own an S Corp. I don't know if this helps.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Can you tell me more about the K-1. What type of entity is this (LLC or S-Corporation)?

Strategic Energy Assets V, LLC (It's considered real estate, but it's an oil and gas investment) It generates a K1.
K1 loss for business expenses.

Are you an active member of the LLC? Are you active in the operations of the LLC?

No, I'm not an active member. They've found a way to deliver K1's.

Will you still have ownership in the LLC after this year?

The question is... if the 2017 K1 loss will offset taxes to be paid for the $200K roth conversion in 2017?
I will still have ownership(investment interest) in 2018.

The questions that I ask are trying to determine this. To be able to claim a loss on the K-1 you need to have basis. The basis would be determined by your initial investments plus profits of the LLC less any losses, Plus any loans that you would be responsible.

Next you would need to consider whether the loss is active or passive. If the loss is passive, you would only be able to apply the loss against other passive income. You would not lose the loss, it would just be suspended and carry forward to the next year. You would be able to free up the loss if you dispose of the investment.

From your description it sounds like this is a passive loss and would not decrease your AGI in the current year. It would be suspended until applied to other passive income or until the investment is disposed.

The k1's work against regular income. I just need to know if the K1 will be subtracted from traditional to roth ira conversion.
It's classified as an "Active loss".
I just instant messaged the firm.
I will have a personal liabilities for all liabilities of the company. Does this make it "active?"
I am actually purchasing LLC interest.
Does this help anything?

Here are the test to consider if it would be considered active income.

• You participate in the business for more than 500 hours.
  • Your participation in the activity constitutes substantially all of the participation of all individuals and employees.
  • You participate in the business for more than 100 hours and no other individual or employee participates more hours than you.
  • The activity is a Significant Participation Activity and you participate for more than 100 hours and your annual participation in all significant activities is more than 500 hours.
  • You materially participated in the activity for any 5 years during the 10 immediately preceding years.
  • If you are engaged in personal service activity, the test is that you must have materially participated for any 3 years preceding the current year.
  • Based on all facts and circumstances, you participated on a regular, continuous, and substantial basis during the year.
If I hold an active interest, would a K1 loss be completely subtracted from my AGI?

If it is not active it would be considered a passive loss. A passive loss can only be applied to passive income. The IRA conversion would not be considered passive income. If there is no passive income, the passive loss is suspended and would carry forward until either their is passive income or until the investment is disposed of.

I understand a passive loss. Is the treatment different for an active loss?

Yes, with an active loss there as long as you have basis (at risk) you would be able to claim the loss without limitation. So this would decrease your AGI.

So to be able to claim the loss you need to have at risk (basis) and the investment needs to be active.

I work for the company is a sales and marketing capacity. I didn't know that it was important.

Are you paid as an employee?

Are there any restrictions that I couldn't use the K1 loss to offset the $200K increase from the IRA conversion?

The only restrictions are the at risk and passive activity rules.

Paid via 1099.
Can I deduct the whole $150 K1 loss against the $200K increase in AGI from the ira conversion? (in this senario?)

It sounds like you are participating in the activities of the LLC. They should be paying you are a guaranteed payment. Tax treatment would be treated similarly.

IF you are active in the sales and marketing of the LLC then as long as you meet the at risk rules. (You have a positive capital account on the K-1 + the amount of loans that you are responsible), you would be able to apply the loss to the IRA conversion.

considering it's an active loss...

If it is considered active and you have at risk then yes it would reduce your AGI.

Thank you! I wanted to be really clear.

Sorry for the questions, I just want to give you the two prongs that you need to satisfy. I hope this helped. If you would take a moment to rate my response I would greatly appreciate it. There should be stars located above the question. If you have additional questions or need clarification I would be happy to continue the discussion. Thank you.

Mark, it is considered equity in the company and not a loan. What does this do?
Does this change the active status and deductiblity?
I messaged the company to get how it's listed.
Does active equity risk count in the same way as a loan?

I just want to make sure that I understand your question. I am assuming that you did not contribute cash capital but did agree to loan for your share of the interest?

I will be investing $200K cash from my IRA.

Who is going to be the member of the LLC? You or the IRA?

Me.

If it is going outside of the IRA it would be a taxable event. So the $200,000 would be taxable income. Is this separate from the conversion?

IRA Services Trust Company CFBO ***** ***** Shilka IRAXXXXXX
I am converting $200K from traditional ira into a new $200K roth IRA.

Is it a loan from the IRA?

this is the taxable event
No, it's not a loan.

I am sorry I think that I am missing something. So the $200K is converted from a traditional IRA to a Roth. How will this be invested in the LLC?

It's a $200K taxable event. I'm trying to figure out if the active K1 loss will directly subtract off of my AGI.
I appreciate all your questions. I don't want to find out later that it won't work.

I do not want that either.

Let's start with this scenario. You take the $200,000 out of the IRA and contribute it to the LLC. You would be able to claim the loss but you would need to pick up the $200,000 as income (same as a conversion) but there would also be a 10% penalty ($20K) if you are under the age of 59 1/2.

$200K is "Purchase of LLC Interest."

It sounds like the LLC is purchasing the interest.

No. I would be purchasing the interest. I am 46. It sounds like the 10% penalty is the show stopper.

I would agree. For you to purchase the interest, there would need to be a distribution from the IRA.

Thanks!

It was my pleasure. I was happy to help. Good luck with everything.

Thank you! I appreciate all your responses!Enjoy your weekend!

You too.

If you could take a moment to rate my response I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

HI. It's me again. Are you sure that I'd need to pay a 10% penalty even if it is in a roth ira?
I can't see anywhere that there is a penalty for putting it into a roth ira.
Based on our whole conversation, it seems like it would work out for me.

No, there is no penalty for putting the money into a Roth. The problem that I see is the money is going from the IRA and you have the ownership individually.

Both the traditional ira and the roth ira are owned individually.
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor