Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I inherited some EE Savings Bonds from my mother. Do I have…

Customer Question
I inherited some EE...

I inherited some EE Savings Bonds from my mother. Do I have to pay income tax on the accumulated interested?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

They haven't been redeemed yet.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I will check into the matter and will respond to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The answer to your question is yes, the accumulated interest is taxable. SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------------

Future Interest

Any interest that accumulates after the decedent dies is always included in your income when you cash in the bond. For example, say you inherit a bond that the decedent bought for $100 and is now worth $180. If you cash it in for $200 years later, you will pay taxes on the last $20 of interest, even if the decedent paid taxes on the first $80 of interest.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://finance.zacks.com/inherited-savings-bonds-taxable-4991.html

----------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant