Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I inherited some EE Savings Bonds from my mother. Do I have…

Customer Question
I inherited some EE...

I inherited some EE Savings Bonds from my mother. Do I have to pay income tax on the accumulated interested?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

They haven't been redeemed yet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 7 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I will check into the matter and will respond to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The answer to your question is yes, the accumulated interest is taxable. SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------------

Future Interest

Any interest that accumulates after the decedent dies is always included in your income when you cash in the bond. For example, say you inherit a bond that the decedent bought for $100 and is now worth $180. If you cash it in for $200 years later, you will pay taxes on the last $20 of interest, even if the decedent paid taxes on the first $80 of interest.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://finance.zacks.com/inherited-savings-bonds-taxable-4991.html

----------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.