Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In New York State does a manufacturer have the

Customer Question
responsibility of collecting sales tax...
In New York State does a manufacturer have the responsibility of collecting sales tax from its contractors/customers that purchase their manufactured products that are then installed in a consumers house?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/30/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Yes. The manufacturer will charge and collect sales tax from contractors/customers unless the contractor/customer has a resale certificate which is provided to you. Then the contractor/customer will charge and collect sales tax from the ultimate consumer.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/quick_reference_guide_for_taxable_and_exempt_property_and_services.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/do_i_need_to_register_for_sales_tax.htm

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.