Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm looking for a tax HSA lawyer. TN. We came to a

Customer Question
I'm looking for a...

I'm looking for a tax HSA lawyer

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TN

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We came to a disagreement with IRS

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We distributed money from HSA to reimburse prior years expenses and a mistake occurred, the double amount was deducted from the account. As soon as I saw the mistake I returned the money to HSA Account. However IRS wants to charge us taxes for both amounts.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/1/2017
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and I can help you out.

So, yes the amount is taxable. However, the IRS released IRS Notice 2004-50, Q&A’s-37 and 76. In these, the IRS allows you to identify the mistaken distribution and return the money. The money needs to be returned no later than April 15 following the first year he/she knew, or should have known, the distribution was a mistake. In addition, there needs to be clear and convincing evidence that the distribution was a mistake.

Hope that helps! If you need anything else, let me know. If not, feel free to leave a rating! Thanks!

Just wanted to circle back and check if you had any other questions. If your question has been answered, please leave a rating! Thanks.