Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We are residents of California with a sole proprietorship…

Customer Question
We are residents of California...
We are residents of California with a sole proprietorship filing a schedule C.1) Our current business is a sole proprietorship in California. We sell about 50% of our annual sales through Amazon FBA and the other half is wholesale to brick and mortar stores around the country. Would it be advantageous to transfer the current business to a Wyoming corporation? We don't need the income for personal expenses.2) We are introducing a new line of products for sale on Amazon.com. This will be a separate business from our current Amazon business. We are considering opening a corporation (probably an LLC) in Wyoming for the new business. The purpose of the corporation is to not subject our sales and profits to some California sales taxes, personal state income tax, potentially high tax brackets, etc. We anticipate higher earnings than previous years and our personal expenses have been greatly reduced since the kids moved out and we sold our house. We do not need much salary from the corporation, since we are currently earning about $9,000 per month on investment interest and rental income that is apart from our regular business.3) We currently receive all inventory at our warehouse in Richmond, California. For future deliveries, we have the option of directing the incoming shipping containers from Asia to be forwarded directly to the Amazon warehouses, bypassing our warehouse in California. As we don't want the new Wyoming business or ourselves to be liable for California taxes, is it necessary to bypass our California warehouse? Is there anything else that we also need to do?4) We are considering living abroad for more than six months per year starting in 2018. Would this be an advantage that would give us greater deductions/exemptions?5) We have a rental property that could also be transferred to be a Wyoming corporation. Would this be advantageous to us in terms of taxes?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/30/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Would it be advantageous to transfer the current business to a Wyoming corporation?

As long as you run business activity from CA - that Wyoming corporation will be considered as a foreign entity conducting business within the state of California.

As such it will have to be registered and pay additional franchise tax.

You personally will be more protected from any liability of that Wyoming corporation - but tax wise - you will likely not have any advantages because the corporation will be responsible for federal and CA stat income taxes.

The purpose of the corporation is to not subject our sales and profits to some California sales taxes, personal state income tax, potentially high tax brackets, etc.

Based on your information - the corporation legally will be obligated to register in California and will be liable for CA sales taxes.

You still may potentially save on individual income taxes as long as there will not be any wages paid to you personally or little wages - but the corporation will pay corporate income taxes instead.

As we don't want the new Wyoming business or ourselves to be liable for California taxes, is it necessary to bypass our California warehouse?

I do not think that will make any difference because legally - you still will have nexus in California based on your residency.

Correspondingly - you will run corporation out of your CA location - and that will create the CA nexus for the corporation.

Having or using the warehouse is only one accept in determination of the nexus.

So far - it will be required to collect sales tax on sales in California and will not be responsible top collect sales taxes from sales shipped to customers to other states where the corporation doesn't have a nexus.

We are considering living abroad for more than six months per year starting in 2018. Would this be an advantage that would give us greater deductions/exemptions

If you travel for business - you might be able to deduct travel expenses.

But if the travel reason is personal - deduction would not be allowed.

In additional - you will need to verify a local law in the country you will reside.

If you pay any foreign taxes - you might be able to claim a credit when the same income is taxes in the US and abroad - thus effectively will avoid double taxation.

We have a rental property that could also be transferred to be a Wyoming corporation. Would this be advantageous to us in terms of taxes

If that rental property is located in California - any rental income will be considered from CA sources and will be taxable for this state regardless where the owner woudl be a resident.

If that rental property is NOT located ion California - rental income realized by the Wyoming corporation will NOT be from CA sources and will not be taxed by that state.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor