Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How much tax deduction is allowed for 24/7 in home health…

Customer Question
How much tax deduction...

How much tax deduction is allowed for 24/7 in home health care

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife was under 24/7 in home health care. How much of the costs are tax deductible?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Nor that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/30/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

From IRS Publication 502 re medical expenses:

Qualified long-term care services are necessary diagnostic, preventive, therapeutic, curing, treating, mitigating, rehabilitative services, and maintenance and personal care services (defined later) that are:

1. Required by a chronically ill individual, and

2. Provided pursuant to a plan of care prescribed by a licensed health care practitioner.

Chronically ill individual. An individual is chronically ill if, within the previous 12 months, a licensed health care practitioner has certified that the individual meets either of the following descriptions.

1. He or she is unable to perform at least two activities of daily living without substantial assistance from another individual for at least 90 days, due to a loss of functional capacity. Activities of daily living are eating, toileting, transferring, bathing, dressing, and continence.

2. He or she requires substantial supervision to be protected from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment.

Maintenance and personal care services. Maintenance or personal care services is care which has as its primary purpose the providing of a chronically ill individual with needed assistance with his or her disabilities (including protection from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment).

If the requirements are met, there is no limit to the medical expense deduction, but you must itemize (use Schedule A) and all expenses IN EXCESS of 10% of your adjusted gross income.

For example, if your adjusted gross income is $30,000, only those expenses over $3,000 can be deducted.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.