Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Im considering whether or not to use our premium tax credits…

Customer Question
Im considering whether or...

Im considering whether or not to use our premium tax credits in advance to pay for health insurance. we are eligible, but im worried our refund will be significantly less if we choose to do so we are eligible to receive about $650/month to pay the premuim

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thanks

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We have two children, only my husband has worked this year, we got married and bought a house this year

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 7 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am gathering information for you. I will respond to you shortly.

thank you!

How Advance Payments Affect Your Refund

If the premium tax credit computed on your return is more than the advance credit payments made on your behalf during the year, the difference will increase your refund or lower the amount of tax you owe. This will be reported in the ‘Payments’ section of Form 1040.

If the advance credit payments are more than the amount of the premium tax credit you are allowed, called excess advance credit payments, you will add all – or a portion of – the excess advance credit payments to your tax liability by entering it in the ‘Tax and Credits’ section of your tax return. This will result in either a smaller refund or a larger balance due.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/premium-tax-credit-claiming-the-credit-and-reconciling-advance-credit-payments

-----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I have no idea how much the credit he would usually receive in his refund would be. how can i find out?

You can use the Premium Tax Credit Estimator on the webpage at the following link to estimate the premium tax credit.

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/estimator/premiumtaxcreditchange/