Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do we file for co who was llc and inc to file as S corp.

Customer Question
How do we file...

How do we file for co who was llc and inc to file as S corp

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Whole year as corp ?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/30/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. So if my understanding is correct, the business was once an LLC, then you elected to be taxed as corporation, or did you convert to a C Corporation altogether? Now you want to convert to an S corporation from your current structure. Is my understanding correct?

incorporated in July and filed for S status. had done business as Sch C since Jan and earlier.
would like to file whole year as S corp
cannot get definitive answer anywhere
Can we file whole year as corp ?

As the business was not an S-Corp the entire year, you cannot file as an S-Corp for the entire year. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------------------------

Short Tax Year

A short tax year is a tax year of less than 12 months. A short period tax return may be required when you (as a taxable entity):

• Are not in existence for an entire tax year, or

• Change your accounting period.

Tax on a short period tax return is figured differently for each situation.

Not in Existence Entire Year

Even if you (a taxable entity) were not in existence for the entire year, a tax return is required for the time you were in existence. Requirements for filing the return and figuring the tax are generally the same as the requirements for a return for a full tax year (12 months) ending on the last day of the short tax year.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tax-years

--------------------------------------------

You will need to file a return as the LLC for the period of time that the business was an LLC and then a return has to be filed for the S-Corp, for the period of time that the business was an S-Corp.

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant