Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Anne, can we deduct our legal expenses (fees paid to an

Customer Question
Hi Anne, can we...

Hi Anne, can we deduct our legal expenses (fees paid to an attorney) for adoption/gestational surrogacy. We live in California and will need to establish ourselves as the 'intended parents' in the court system and finalize our guardianship upon birth.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We have adopted in the past and could deduct the legal fee, I am guessing this is similar since we need to legally 'adopt/establish' ourselves as parents upon the birth of the child.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
We will incur approximately $14k in legal fee's due to the process of using 'third party' reproduction which involves an egg donor and gestational surrogate.
11/30/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

In general - legal fees are deducted if paid in connection to taxable income...

As these fees are NOT related to any taxable income - these are personal non deductible expenses.

HOWEVER - court costs and attorney fees are qualified adoption expenses for purposes of claiming both a tax credit for qualified adoption expenses paid to adopt an eligible child and an exclusion from income for employer-provided adoption assistance.

Thus if you qualify and do claim the credit - these fees may be included.

See here for details

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc607

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.