Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

EFLA question - net income from EFLA partnership was

Customer Question
reported on Line K-1, Line...
EFLA question - net income from EFLA partnership was reported on Line K-1, Line 11 as $50,000 and is made up of interest, cap gains, section 988, expenses, etc. Of that amount, $30,000 is recharacterized as nonpassive income. My question is how does the remaining nonpassive piece of $20,000 get reported? Does the nonpassive piece all go on Sch E to offset other passive losses or is it broken out and reported as interest income, cap gains etc ?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
11/30/2017
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and would love to help you out with this.

If you have interest, cap gains, etc, they need to be reported on the proper schedule. For example, interest will go to Sch B and capital gains will go to Schedule D.

The second issue is the passive/non-passive and how to report that. You'll use Form 8525 worksheet 3. Remember with passive items, passive losses can only offset passive income. Worksheet 3 will allow you to track what portion of those items on line 11 are passive income items, which will then allow you to offset passive income. If you have no passive losses, then the passive income is always reportable.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more help on this. If not, please leave a rating! Thanks!

Just wanted to circle back and check if you had any other questions. If your question has been answered, please leave a rating! Thanks.