Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The Social Security Admin advises me the IRS claims I

Customer Question
The Social Security Admin...

The Social Security Admin advises me the IRS claims I received $53,846.00 in tax exempt interest income in 2016. This is not correct. I only received $6038.00 in tax exempt interest income. How can this be corrected?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The SSA advises that my adjusted gross income of $77,848.00 (which is correct) plus the additional $53,846.00 causes me to pay an xtra Medicare part B premium. I need a letter of correction from the IRS to settle this with the SSA.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/29/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Tax exempt interest income is reported on form 1099INT box 8

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099int.pdf

That is the form issued by the payer and sent to you and to the IRS.

Your first step would be to order your tax account transcript and verify whether that amount is reported correctly.
If yes - you may provide that transcript to the SSA to verify if Medicare premiums are determined properly.

If indeed the tax exempt interest was incorrectly reported on form 1099INT - you would need to communicate with the sender and ask for correction.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor