Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My employee gave me SS number with one digit That’s

Customer Question
My employee gave me...

My employee gave me SS number with one digit That’s incorrect. She will not return any of my phone calls. Will IRS be able to figure out that this 1099 is her income just by her name?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My employee gave me SS number with one digit that’s incorrect. Will IRS be able to match that 1099 with her name only even if there Social Security number is *****? She is not returning my calls

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/29/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

I am waiting

Q: Will IRS be able to figure out that this 1099 is her income just by her name?

A: No, because the IRS goes by the social security number to match up income, not by name. SEE BELOW:

------------------------------------

The key to Forms 1099 is the IRS' computerized matching. Every Form 1099 includes the payer's employer identification number and the payee's Social Security (or taxpayer identification) number.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.forbes.com/2010/01/27/irs-1099-computer-matching-audits-personal-finance-robert-wood.html#31cfd9f265cb

-------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Additional information.

1) You indicated that the person is your employee. If the person is an employee, the person should have been issued a Form W2 instead of the Form 1099. I am mentioning this to you because if you refer to the person as your employee to the IRS, they will likely ask why you issued a Form 1099 instead of the Form W2.

2) If you are unable to obtain the correct information from the person, keep a paper trail because you will need to show the IRS that you did make attempts to obtain the correct information. You can do this by sending a blank W-9 to the last known address of the person with a letter stating that you need the correct information. Send the letter certified, return receipt requested. If you don't receive a response, send a second letter and W9. After then, if you do not receive a response, when you file the business taxes, file the 1099 for the person, but let the IRS know that the TIN is incorrect and you have been unsuccessful in getting the correct information. This is where the paper trail will come in. You want to make sure that you cover your bases, because if you don't, the IRS can end up penalizing you.

Hi. You said that IRS is not able to match income to a person if they don’t have correct SS number (like incorrect by one digit) . Are you now, saying that IRS in fact CAN. find the person? She was not employee- she was self employed working for me. My wrong choice of words.

I suppose the IRS could match the information, if they took the time to search through their database, etc. However, it is unlikely that they have the manpower or the time to do that. It is up to the employer or the person issuing the W2 or 1099 to provide the correct information. If you can't get that information, then I outlined the steps that you need to take.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant