Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If i am the trustee of my childrens irrevocable trust, am i…

Customer Question
If i am the...

If i am the trustee of my childrens irrevocable trust, am i allowed to receive a gift from their trust?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My children have an irrevocable trust in which i am the trustee. i want to know if i'm allowed to receive a gift (up to 14k) from their trusts

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/29/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As a trustee - in general any gifts made from the trust to you - will be considered as compensation for being a trustee - that will be based on relations between you and the trust.

Therefore - it will be taxable income for you.

In additional - unreasonable compensation - that might be considered as too high compared to services you provide to the trust as a trustee - may be treated as violation of your trustee fiduciary duty...

Trustees have certain legal duties in relation to the management of the trust. The most important duty is the duty of loyalty.

Since trustees are the legal owners of the trust property, the duty of loyalty prevents the trustee from taking advantage of the legal ownership to use the trust property for his own benefit.

Correspondingly - that may result the removing you from being a trustee.

So - while gifts are not directly prohibited - we need to act very carefully this matter.

Let me know if any clarification needed,

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor