Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I didn't file my taxes for 2016 ,Is it to late to file or…

Customer Question
I didn't file my...

I didn't file my taxes for 2016 ,Is it to late to file or can I get an extension?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have been filing my taxes with Jackson Hewitt, but this year I procrastinated to file because of lack of money and didn't realized that this year is almost over. I have never done this before. can you help me?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/29/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

I am reviewing your question and will post my answer in a few moments.

The time to request an extension has passed. Extension requests for 2016 should have been made by April 18, 2017 and would have extended your time to file until October 16, 2017. An extension of time to FILE is not an extension of time to PAY.

With that being said, if you anticipate a refund, there is no late filing penalty because you are owed money, so the IRS does not care when you file your return.

You can still file your return, but it will have to be mailed to the IRS. Electronic filing is closed for the 2016 tax year.

Do you anticipate a refund or will you owe?

You have three years from the date of the original deadline of the tax return to claim your refund or two years from the date the tax was actually paid, whichever is later.

For example, your 2016 tax return was due on April 18, 2017. If you add three years to this filing deadline, you have until April 18, 2020 to file your 2016 tax return and still get a tax refund. If you wait any later than that, your refund "expires" because the statute of limitations for claiming a refund has closed.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent